Thursday, December 18, 2008

Race

Have you ever felt completely out of place because of your race or gender? Or maybe just because you didn't know anybody? I'm sure we all have.

When I was 12 I went to visit my cousins down in Memphis for a few weeks during the summer. One day, My aunt decided that they were going to take me downtown to get the full experience of Memphis and how cool it was since I had never been there.

Now, those of you who know, I am superrrr white, like, even pasty sometimes. And Memphis...well Tennessee in general, is dominately black. That's just how it is, not a big deal.

My aunt thought it would be cool if we took the trolly around downtown, which seemed cool because I had never been on a trolly. So as soon as we get on the trolly it's very obvious that we are the only white people on the thing. We stood out worse then a sore thumb, I kid you not.

There wasn't even anywhere to sit so we had to stand in the middle of so many black people who I could feel judging me, it was very uncomfortable...

But it was soon okay because then two Asian got on who looked ridiculously more out of place then us. The safari hat, the palm Hawaiian t-shirt, the fannypack..."HI! We're from Springfield!"

It was hilarious then, but still slightly uncomfortable because I knew I couldn't laugh. =)

4 comments:

Mr. Kunkle said...

This was an interesting story, Aleesha-- thanks for sharing it. It reminds a little of a scene later on in Caucasia when the main character goes with her mom and a friend to New York City. It should have some resonance with you.

Kristi said...

I like this story. =] I don't mean for this to sound mean but isn't that just the perfect stereotypical look for the tourist Asian?! Walking around with a camera around their neck or in hand and a big hat on their head..haha

Marisa said...

Thats such a funny story. I hate feeling awkward in situations like that because you shouldn't. Most Asian tourists are so annoying and mean...most, not all.

Alyssa said...

I hate when that happens. I mean everybody, once in a while feels like they are being judged. But to be stuck in a trolly surrounded by the people doing it is even worse. But atleast it was an experience that helped you understand that there is other race out there and everything.

-Alyssa