Thursday, November 6, 2008

First blog post!

Hello Internet world, this is my first blog.

I recently read a short story for my College Literature class called Every Little Hurricane.
I thought that it was written very well and the description and symbolism was very concise.
It was a sad story, though, unfortunately. Even though it was sad, it was a good read. Which is surprising because normally I tend to stray away from sad stories so not too become sad myself.

The story was about a very young Indian boy's life. His family was very poor and his parents were alcoholics. The point of view was 3rd person and usually during a drinking party that Victor's, the boy, parents are throwing. The title, Every Little Hurricane, referrs to all the events that take place that Victor considers as storms, or hurricanes. Whether it's his two uncles fighting until near death, somebody passing out, yelling in the house, or any other event that takes place while all the adults are under the influence, Victor cannot get to sleep. He watches and cries.

Thinking about the young boy who is mentioned to be only about 5 years old, I can imagine how hurt will flood his life as he grows up. I can't imagine myself, though, having to grow up in this environment, this makes me empathetic for this fictional character.

As I mentioned before, the symbolism and decriptions are outstanding. So once you look past the sorrow and pain filled words you can then appreciate the author's writing much more.

5 comments:

Natalie H said...

Hello Peesha!

I really liked where you were going with your blog. I agree with you that the author was a very good writer that was able to make the reader empathize with the situation. Good Job!

Have a wonderful day!

:D

Brittanya said...

Aleesha, I completly agree with you. The only thing that's sad is that the story is not as famous as it should be. I think it really powerfully showed what alchohalism can do to a family.

Your so right!

..Brittanya

Cody Dederich said...

The symbolism was not only outstanding, but flexible too. On the surface the hurricane reflects the boy's life, how its constantly in a state of destruction due to his family life. However, the hurricane metaphor carries over not only to the effect alcohol has on the father, but the current (crumbling) state of Native American culture and ideals.

In other words...I agree :P.

Peter G. said...

I think that the symbolism and the metaphors that the author used were outstanding as well. I also thought it true how he depicted the troubles and the times that the modern indian nations are experiencing. I am empathetic for them as well.

Sami said...

Hey Aleesha! I agree with your impression of Every Little Hurricane. I thought it was a sad story but you could feel the strong use of symbolism. And I also felt for the boy that had to go through living with an alcholholic family. So I definitely agree with your impression of the story.
-Sami