Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Why Yes, I Have A Race

Do you have a race?

Sure! I'm very plainly white. I have eight different nationalities, including Greek which is my favorite, but they don't seem to matter as much as I'm just white and American. I wish I was more Greek-looking, honestly, it'd be pretty cool, exotic.

Being American and white effects me because we're very stereotyped all around the world. Fat, lazy, whiney, selfish, rich, over-working, arrogant, prideful, etc... These are all so terrible, and it effects me more than some because I want to travel for missions work to help others, and it's hard to change that stereotype when people have it pre-programmed in their minds.

Maybe I should just be "conceptually" a different race? lol


5 comments:

Anna said...

The first time I heard you read this to the class I laughed so hard. I agree with all of the characteristics that you named. This is a great blog.

Shauna Ohhh said...

I along with anna, laughed too. I thought it was a good point that you were making!

Great blog! :)

Peter G. said...

Ya, I think you're pretty white too, but what's wrong with that?

As to people thinking that you are a stereotypical American, only developed countries think that because they see the propaganda of what typical Americans are, but if you go to an underdeveloped country on mission, they love americans because of all the things that the peace corps and our government in general does to help them out. If you go to a developed country on mission, all you have to do is try and blend in to the people as best you can and nobody with notice or care that you're American.

I'm not lost in the world. I'm just taking a detour. said...

I also am white and about 8 or 9 different nationalities. I also feel your pain as far as preconscieved notions. I grew up in England for 2 years and these steortypes are hard to break.

Abby said...

Aleesha, you are one of the palest people I know, and having been your friend, and seen you dance, yes, you are white.

As for being stereotyped as an American, maybe when you go on your mission trips you should just leave the fanny pack, camera, flip flops, map, and Hawaiian shirt at home so you won't look like such a tourist. That will help. Well, maybe keep the map, so you don't get lost in the forests of Equador, but the rest, leave at home. ;)

-unterbl-hunter of gerbils